Monday, May 16, 2011

How to stop worrying about the future




I hate worrying about the future. I'm not even sure why I do it when the Lord has already taken care of it. It is a fruitless act to worry. It brings no satisfaction, no ease of mind, it simply drains and pulls one away from success and fulfillment. You cannot do well when you are so busy worrying about doing well. And yet I do it. I worry about my health, will I be well enough to realize my dreams. I worry about falling in love or rather, someone not falling in love with me. I worry about my academic career, will I get good grades and get a good job.
These things run through my mind. I over contemplate. This is actually called furturizing. We all do it on some level, because we are taught from a young age to plan for the future and think ahead. And in some respects it's necessary to think ahead. But it can be done to an excessive point and it can lead to a chronically stressful life when planning becomes chronic stressing about the future. Physical consequences such as loss of sleep, loss of appetite, weariness, and even physical pain can result from this stressing.

So how do we stop this worrying about the future?

By living in the moment.

It seems easier said than done doesn't it. I mean how does one put themselves in the present when there is so much to plan for?

By appreciating the here and now that God has given you. By savoring the little moments you enjoy and by placing your fears of the future in the Lord.

You have no control over your tomorrow as much as you would like to. But you do have control over your today, so focus on that. Focus on what you are doing now. Do it with all your ability. Enjoy and love the present blessings and even challenges you receive because they will shape your future. What you do today will be reflected in your tomorrow. So if you are worrying about the what if's of your future, think and examine how you are living in this very moment.

Trust your life in the Lord, appreciate the present, and release control over your tomorrow.

God Bless
FYG

1 comment:

  1. Dear Forever Your Gurl, thank you very much for the post. What you had wrote is exactly what I need to hear. I used to be very happy person until three weeks ago when I received my law school offer, when it was time to decide where I want my future to go, when it was time to stop postponing thinking about my future and actually start thinking about it. I still don't know what to do. I wish somehow we can see into the future, so that we can make the right decision right now. But then who has the perfect career or even perfect life, we all make mistakes, or a better way to put it, we all make decisions that seem appropriate at the moment but then turn out to be a poor decision in the future. I think I put too much pressure on myself to make the right decision, not mistakes, that I put myself 100% liable for the consequences or results of my decision. Although I still don't know what to do, but your post has definitely helped me to feel better =) Cheers

    ReplyDelete